La Leche League (pronounced la LAY-chay), or LLL, is a non-profit organization founded in 1956 by seven women who wanted to make breastfeeding easier and more rewarding for both mother and child. The organization offers information and encouragement, primarily through personal help, to those women who want to breastfeed their babies. Watch a video about how La Leche League started!
For more about La Leche League philosophy, watch this fun slide presentation!
La Leche League is active in 68 countries, reaching more than 100,000 mothers monthly. LLL International is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in consultative status with UNICEF, is an NGO in official relations with the World Health Organization (WHO), is an accredited member of the US Healthy Mothers/Healthy Babies Coalition, and is a founding member of the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA).
La Leche League offers breastfeeding support and information through:
- Monthly discussion groups.
- Help from experienced Leaders.
- Lending library with books on breastfeeding, childbirth, parenting, and nutrition.
- LLL breastfeeding information sheets and pamphlets.
- Books for sale, including our book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. This book offers practical help such as how often to nurse, how long at each feeding, and how to increase milk supply.
- Almost 60 years experience providing mother-to-mother help.
- New Beginnings, a bimonthly blog for parents.
- The LLL International award-winning informational website.
Whether you breastfeed your baby six days, six weeks, six months, a year or longer, you’ll find LLL Groups supportive and informative.
What happens at LLL groups?
Our Monthly groups discuss:
- Breastfeeding: The Healthy Choice
- At Home With Your New Baby
- Art of Breastfeeding & Avoiding Difficulties
- Nutrition and Weaning
LLL Groups have informal discussions. Mothers bring their questions and concerns about breastfeeding. There is also a planned topic of discussion that covers the practical, physical, and psychological aspects of breastfeeding. Children are always welcome.
What is a La Leche League Leader?
La Leche League Leaders are experienced mothers who are accredited by La Leche League International to help mothers and mothers-to-be with all aspects of breastfeeding. La Leche League Leaders are available for phone calls whenever a mother has breastfeeding questions that cannot wait until the next meeting.
We are happy to talk with you so please don’t hesitate to call! We don’t always notice comments posted on the site, so please use our contact information. All breastfeeding help is completely confidential. Since we are mothers as well as volunteers working from our own homes, we do appreciate your efforts to time your calls accordingly.
Who are La Leche League members?
Members of La Leche League International care about giving their babies breastmilk. Mothers who become members breastfeed longer because LLLI has developed a worldwide network of caring mothers with experience who share information, support, and encouragement. With an LLL Membership, the benefits also include:
The $25 Supporting Membership includes:
- Meeting new people in the Sarasota area community and gaining self-confidence as you learn from other mothers.
- Providing funds for our breastfeeding helpline, pamphlets, postage, and continuing education for Leaders.
- Ensuring that breastfeeding support will continue to be available for future breastfeeding mothers!
- E-mail reminders with a link to the blog New Beginnings, an online magazine devoted entirely to breastfeeding filled with inspiration, practical hints, book reviews, and breastfeeding information.
The $40 Regular Membership allows those who feel able, to support us at a higher level.
If you are interested in becoming an LLL Member, please consider joining locally to ensure that part of your donation remains here for local breastfeeding support. Membership is 100% tax-deductible. Please contact a local Leader if you are interested in joining to support LLL of the Suncoast.
La Leche League is a nonprofit organization entirely supported by donations, memberships and sales of materials.
All donations to La Leche League are 100% tax-deductible.